Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Face of Things

Thank you, Joy, for the introduction to Chimay Ale. This delightful champagne of beer is just the new drink I was looking for. It's different, it's delicious and it's not a martini but tastes and looks nice served out of a martini glass. Plus, I like the bottle. Very hip. Just my speed.
I may even add it to my Facebook page as a favorite item and really get the talk going. Because let's face it, Facebook is out of control. Seriously, it's taking over people's lives and capitalizing cocktail conversations worldwide.

Last night, at a gathering that was organized via wall-to-wall posts on Facebook, I got together with old friends Joy, Kim, Kris, Novella and Katie at Katie's nice, new house somewhere between the burbs "Bum" and sounds like "Duck." Thanks to Facebook, we were already semi up to speed on each other's lives since the last time we all got together some two or three short years ago. But there were holes that needed filling. Like, when did Katie have her fourth child?! And WTF is Kim's last name now? And what do you mean, Novella, that you're selling everything and hopping in the car with no real destination or plan?! And why, Kris, won't you just go ahead and sing us a karaoke song?! And since when, Kriste, did you get a divorce?!

Throughout the evening, Facebook kept popping up. We chatted about each other's 25 Things lists (apologizing to those whose lists we hadn't yet read). We talked about people's pictures and kids and random friends that have recently made it to our invite lists. We wondered how some people in our collection of Facebook friends do anything but troll the site and post comments. Still others have had offline conversations about how they don't understand some people's status updates (hey, if you don't get my updates you really don't need to be my friend). And then there's the whole issue of "defriending." It happened to Katie. She was defriended by an old friend who shall remain nameless (you know who you are you messed up mess). It happened to my friend Margie, too. I defriended a woman, but that was only because she was a whack job and was scaring me! And then there's my friend Kym Gerlock, who just decided that Facebook was too much and dropped off altogether. The nerve! I'm starting to think she may be onto something though. I casually keep up with Facebook, and I try to keep up with people's new posts and comings and going and postings to my wall and such, but frankly it's a little too much sometimes. I've found that some people take it personally if you don't respond for a long time. They think you're mad at them or something. But if I'm mad at someone, I'll usually tell them rather than go all Facebook passive aggressive on them.

It does make me wonder, though, what would happen if I just up and defriended everyone one day? I mean honestly. How long can this Facebook thing go on? I can barely manage the 289 friends I have. What's going to happen in say, 10 years, when that number has doubled? Or, what if I've made everyone so mad at me by then by not posting to their walls or commenting on their status that I'm down to a handful of friends who really aren't friends at all? I know one thing, my girls from Clarksville will always be my friends. They're smart. They're sassy. They're funny. And they feed my soul.

2 comments:

  1. Impressive food to Facebook transition, Goad. When I got the old de-friend treatment a few weeks ago it really made me sad/mad. But then, like you said, if you don't get my status updates or they offend you - we probably don't need to be Facebook friends anyway.

    (sigh)

    Can't wait to try that new bubbly beer though. Nice photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note that there are no holes to fill in my life because I am the Shameless Hermit but that allows me more time to lounge around and drink Chimay ;-) We were drinking the Blue, but they also offer Red and Triple which are equally tasty. I simply grabbed the Blue because dear hubby bought that flavor in the bigger bottle. http://www.chimay.com/

    Slainte. Here's tae ye!

    ReplyDelete